The “Chinese box” or Caja China is a portable oven whose history goes back to the fifties in Cuba, when Chinese immigrants arrived in Caribbean lands and cooked meats underground. Later, they covered the food with a metal plate on which they placed embers and after four hours, they had a delicious and juicy meat.
A Cuban saw this peculiar form of cooking and moved it to a wooden box covered with metal, which he named as a Chinese Box.
In Peru, the Chinese box is only a few years old. However, its recent diffusion has given the opportunity to try this simple and yet delicious way of preparing typical Peruvian dishes.
The most popular and present dish in all gastronomic fairs is the “Chancho a la Caja China”, today we share a delicious and quick recipe so that you can prepare it for your family or friends.
- - 7 kg Pork
- - 10 Lemons
- - ½ cup of Coca-Cola
- - Salt
- - MSG or Seasoning or fish sauce
- - Pepper
- - 1 beer
- - 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- - Thoroughly clean the pork and let it soak in salted water for about 30min. or 1 hr.
- - Mix the rosemary, salt, coke, pepper, lemon juice and seasoning.
- - Macerate the pork.
- - Preheat the Chinese box about 20min, then put the pork (Tip:"at the beginning put the skin side down").
- - Leave it for 1hr. for each side (checking every 30min).
- - Spread the beer all over the pork at the beginning and the middle of cooking.