A fiery affair with meat kebabs (called anticuchos) has been going on since the time of the Spanish Colony in the streets of Lima. The most famous of them, anticuchos de corazón, (believe it or not, made from cows hearts), are revered all over Peru. However, beef, chicken, veggies, seafood, lamb… they can all be found. To my daughter´s dismay (she is a passionate vegetarian), I have always loved chicken liver anticuchos, with aji mirasol(dried yellow chili pepper) sauce. Spicy and delicious, this love struck me by surprise when I first moved to Peru over 30 years ago, but went ignored for a long time, because for many years I was a vegetarian myself. In my mind, however, I always dreamed of eating those tiny chicken liver morsels of delight.
lifestyle blog for moms on the go, that I love. They are incredibly tasty, with the biting kick of the chili pepper and the aroma of the garlic and spices blended together. Make them as hot or mild as you want, or even leave the chili out of the equation if blander food goes better with you. And make sure to cook them with a light hand, so they don´t overcook, which would make them stringy and inedible. Also, don´t forget to soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for an hour in advance, to keep the wood from burning while you cook the chicken. If you are tough, serve hot sauce on the side. And the most important part… have fun with it, and enjoy!
- 6 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 – 4 tablespoons aji mirasol paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash of cumin
- 6 potatoes, boiled and peeled
- *Cut the chicken breasts in 2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper; add garlic, aji mirasol paste, vegetable oil, oregano, and cumin. Cover and marinade in the fridge for two hours.
- *Thread the chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers, and cook in a hot sauté pan or on the grill, turning after 4 – 5 minutes or when golden. Do not overcook the chicken.
- *Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in thick slices and cook in a pan with a little oil, on medium heat, until golden.
- *To serve: put two skewers in every plate, with golden potatoes on the side. A green salad or salsa criolla will be a great addition to this chicken dish