It’s my favorite day of the week again! I’m sorry, I know the cliche is to hate Mondays, and I’m not being too sympathetic with all those who dread the beginning of the work week… but how could I not like #MeatlessMondays? I’ve been a vegetarian for most of my life, starting from the age of 4 or 5, when my mom put a Christmas turkey on the table. Having a dead animal on our dinner table, and celebrating around it, just didn’t feel right to me, and it still doesn’t. And even though I’m not trying to change minds here, or hint at anything that may go against anyone’s beliefs, I do have to admit that the #MeatlessMondays trend happening on the internet makes my heart do a happy dance on this day.
My recipe for today is one of my favorite entrees, and there is absolutely no reason why vegetarians (or vegans) should not enjoy it. It’s too good to miss out on, so we’ve figured that one out for you (wink wink). Even if you’re a meat-eating machine, this version is worth having every once in a while instead of the original. Have you guessed what it is yet?: Portobellos Saltados (stir-fried portobellos), a wonderful meatless alternative to
Don’t forget to serve it with rice and French fries (I usually use brown rice, but made white rice today for authenticity’s sake). This may all seem too much, but when the rice and French Fries get mixed together with the stir-fry, and soak up all those juices, you will understand why we eat it this way.
Happy meat-free eating!
- 1 package Portobello mushrooms (2-4 large mushrooms), sliced.
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion cut in thick slices
- 2 tomatoes cut in thick slices
- 1 seeded and ribbed aji amarillo chili pepper cut in thin slices (you can substitute with 1 tablespoon of aji amarillo paste, or with any chili pepper you can find)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups French fries
- White or brown rice cooked with 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, as a side dish
- *Put a wok or a pan over very high heat. Add the oil and saute the portobellos, garlic, onion, tomato, chili pepper, and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the soy sauce and vinegar, and mix everything. Season with more salt and pepper.
- *Take off the heat, add chopped cilantro and serve at once with French fries and white rice, and the juice from the stir-fry.