Our love for flan or crema volteada is such, that we are always imagining not only sweet but also savory versions of this lovely concoction. There is a huge variety of flans served all around Lima, -from vegetarian versions made with spinach, broccoli, white or green asparagus, and green peas, to fish or shrimp flan.
This flan is very easy to make and you can even use frozen vegetables, although I´m a huge advocate of using fresh veggies when possible, and always cooking from scratch. I´m also aware of the convenience of frozen produce, however, so take advantage of fresh or frozen to make this delicious vegetarian flan for your family.
My daughter-in-law, our lovely contributor Antonella Delfino, is a great cook and loves to make a wonderful vegetable soufflé for dinner, that is similar to this recipe. She shared that dish with us a while ago, which brought back to my mind memories of all the luscious savory flans I used to make at home in Lima, and inspired me to make this one today.
Because I love quinoa and have been working on a lot of recipes and new creative ways to use this superfood, I added it to the dish too. And if you want to see how else you can use this versatile and nutritious seed in your daily meals, and get some fun and delicious bonuses, don’t forget to check out our new eBook: Delightful Quinoa Recipes, and let us know what you think!
- 2½ cups cooked vegetables, diced (corn, carrot, red bell pepper, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, etc.)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 5 eggs
- 1½ cup Half & Half or unsweetened evaporated milk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 cups Bechamel sauce**
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl combine the vegetables, quinoa, eggs, Half & Half, Parmesan cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour in an oiled pyrex or baking pan.
- Put this inside a larger roasting pan and fill with hot water up to 1 inch.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Take off the oven and serve hot or warm with Bechamel sauce.
- ** To make Bechamel sauce melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, stirring until well incorporated. Add 2 cups hot milk, lower the heat and simmer until slightly thick. You may add 1 bay leaf to the sauce. Season with salt and white pepper.