As complicated as it looks, this cake is actually very easy to make. I know, I know… by now you must be thinking that my favorite word, regarding my recipes, is “easy”, but they really are. I’m serious.
This peach cake, made with canned peaches in syrup, was one of the first cakes I learned how to make. It was my kids´favorite dessert and they had many of them throughout their childhood, not only with peaches but with grapes, mango, tangerines, and oranges as well.
The cake is made in four easy steps: 1) The sponge cake. 2) The pastry cream. 3) The sliced canned peaches. 4) The topping. You can serve the chilled cake plain, with whipped cream, or maybe with a little ice cream. If you prefer to use your foolproof sponge cake recipe to make this dessert, feel free to use it.
Whenever I make it, I usually prepare everything at once. No previous steps are needed unless you want to bake the cake the day before and get this out of the way. The following steps should be performed in quick succession. Then the cake is let to rest in the fridge until serving time.
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup cake flour
- 1 can peaches in syrup
- Pastry cream:
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup syrup from the peaches
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Beat 3 eggs in the mixer at high speed, with the sugar until tripled in volume. Turn off the mixer. Add the melted butter, mixing with a spatula.
- Fold in the flour and pour the batter in a greased and floured baking pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cool in a rack and unmold.
- Pastry cream:
- Bring one cup milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pur the remaining milk in the vase of a blender with egg yolks, sugar, flour, a pinch of salt, and process until smooth. Pour into the saucepan with the hot milk.
- Cook, stirring often, until thick. Add the vanilla and butter, and turn off the heat. Cool for 10 minutes and pour over the cake.
- Slice the peaches and put on top of the pastry cream.
- To make the topping: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add the syrup, stir and cook over medium heat until thick and clear.
- Pour the topping over the peaches in the cake.
- Cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.