For a traditional version of quinua pudding, follow the instructions for arroz con leche and you´ll be ready for a real treat.
To the finished pudding add raisins, chopped mango, berries, a little Port wine, dried cherries…or whatever you feel like, and this will become a new dessert every time.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- The peel of one lemon
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan put the quinoa, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice and lemon peel. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring every now and then. Discard the lemon peel.
- Add the evaporated and whole milk. Add sugar. Continue cooking, stirring until the pudding is creamy, 20 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add vanilla essence and cool.
- Discard the spices and pour the pudding in ramekin or a nice container.
- Dust with ground cinnamon and serve at room temperature (I like it cold).