This time of the year is all about traditions. I´m pretty sure that you´re planning your New Year´s Eve celebration. And just like the rest of us, you´re counting the minutes to have dinner with friends and go to a great party and dance until dawn. Maybe you´re making a resolutions list for 2017 – I gave that up many years ago, because I always forget about them in a matter of days…
And if you live in Peru, perhaps you already bought the yellow underwear that will bring you good luck for the year ahead, or you have a couple suitcases waiting by the door to run around the block at midnight and manifest lots of traveling during 2017. Of course, you can´t miss the 12 grapes right at midnight, and one wish to accompany each of them -just be careful when you swallow them! And don’t forget the Champagne glasses to make a noisy toast to the best year of your life.
Whatever your traditions may be, this is the time of the year to make this yummy rice dish to accompany any entree you are planning to enjoy for the last dinner of 2016. Treat yourself and celebrate life!
- 60 gr. eggplant, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 60 grs. roasted bell peppers, chopped
- 100 grs. ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups white rice (you may use Arborio)
- 60 grs. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 12 basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 60 grs. olives, seeded and chopped
- Put the eggplant in a bowl with salted water. Rinse, dry and sauté in olive oil. Reserve.
- In the same skillet sauté the garlic cloves, roasted bell pepper and ham. Stir in the reserved eggplant.
- In a saucepan heat the remaining oil and fry the rice. Add the eggplant sofrito and the tomatoes. Pour the chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to very low, put the lid on and cook, undisturbed, for 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil leaves, add the cheese and garnish with the olives.