Every time I think about salchipapas, what comes to my mind is a feeling of satisfying simplicity. This staple Peruvian “fast food” dish, is exactly what its name indicates: salchichas (sausages) + papas (potatoes). Salchi-papas. With such a short list of ingredients, I´m wondering if you will even need a recipe for this. The preparation goes like this: stir fry sausages, and combine with French fries. It couldn´t be easier. The only “work” needed is to cut the sausages in rounds or sticks.
Salchipapas are very popular in the markets and in the streets of Peru. This dish is sold in some fast food restaurants too, and even in the stadium during football matches. Some variations include different kinds of sausages, and sweet potatoes or yucca instead of regular potatoes. You may accompany the dish with several sauces, like ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, or aji (chili).
Children are very fond of salchipapas, clearly because they love sausages –in Peru, we call them hot dogs-, and of course, they adore French fries too. A colorful and substantial meal (although not a very healthy one!), salchipapas take only a few minutes to make, especially if you have ready-made fries in your freezer, that only need to be reheated in the oven until golden. Of course, you can fry them in hot oil too –right from the freezer-, but why would you want to add even more oil to this? What we recommend instead, even though this is not the typical way of eating it, is to serve salchipapas next to some fresh salad, so you get some veggies in there! Now THAT would be a meal both kids and mothers would be happy about.
- 4 beef sausages (chicken of pork, is up to you)
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and cut in sticks
- Oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
- Aji amarillo paste
- Parsley leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over high heat.
- Dry the potatoes with a paper towels, and fry, a little at a time, until golden. If you are using the frozen ready-made variety, heat them in a 450F oven, for 18 minutes. Sprinkle with salt.
- Meanwhile cut the sausages in rounds or oval slices. Heat a teaspoon oil in a saute pan. Cook the sausages until golden and juicy.
- In the saute pan, combine sausages and fried potatoes. Serve inmediately with ketchup, mustard, aji, mayo.
- Garnish with a few parsley leaves.