There was a time when I loved to make complicated dishes and desserts. But then I realized that nothing could beat the beauty of simplicity, especially important when you are busy and want some cake to appear from out of nowhere and accompany your evening coffee… That is why I now adore this recipe. It´s so delicious and easy to make, that one can enjoy a mouth-watering dessert in an hour or so, with just about 15 minutes of preparation, and the rest of the work done by the oven.
It may come as a surprise that apple desserts (pies, tarts, cakes, turnovers, etc.) are beloved by Peruvian bakers. Having a good apple recipe to share with family and friends is of the utmost significance, and this is mine!
As you can see, there is nothing difficult about preparing this cake. I like to think of it as one of my daily fruit portions, because its main ingredient is apples (and that way I don´t feel guilty about it). Some berries can be added to the cake, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or even cranberries. These fruits are not used in Peru, so there I would perhaps add mulberries instead. An all-apple cake is equally delightful, more so if using tart apples. In that case don´t add any lime juice to the fruit. I’ve just included it in the recipe because sometimes all I can find are sweet apples.
I serve this cake with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Do you want a bite?
- 6 apples
- Grated zest of 1 lime or lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream
- Blueberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut them in thin slices, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with lime or lemon zest. Add cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar, and stir to combine.
- Put the apple slices in a greased 9 inch baking pan. Add some blueberries.
- In another bowl put brown sugar, flour, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Combine with a spatula or a wire whisk, and pour over the apples.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream, and blueberries.